Going to the beach with your dog can be great for exercise and socialization! Here are some things to remember to make the trip more enjoyable:
- Make sure you're within a Dog Exercise area on the beach, the Gold Coast City Council has great maps to show you where the Dog Beaches are at this link.
- Be sure to take a plastic bag!
- Bring a water bottle for your dog and a travel dish.
- If your dog swims, make sure he/she is a strong swimmer and watch for undercurrents. If you own a smaller breed dog, a doggie life jacket is a good option to keep them safe.
- Dogs can sunburn too! Watch the heat, check their paws for blisters and find shade often.
- Remember that running on sand is more strenuous on their joints, so don't let them overdo it!
~The Get Up and Go! Team